Feedzilla: Athletics News

Feedzilla: Sports - Running News

Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Power of The Mind

11th may 2011- One of my toughest runs ever- running in almost 80 percent humidity at 30 degrees it was like being in a torture chamber, only this is self inflicted.

Thanks to a very determined Nimisha I had originally planned to run 21km today- to celebrate my 2 week vacation. Fortunately Savio shot down the idea and advised us to only do the circuit - a 13. 5 km route which includes the uphill walkeshwar road.

I thought it will be a breeze. 13.5 Instead of 21!
And we were off. After the initial 6k I struggled uphill ......onwards.......The in between 6-10 km were my worst. Thoughts of giving up filled my head- constantly hounding me to head home and not return to nariman point to finish the run.


As I battled my mind- I wondered about the vagaries of nature. Can man stand up to nature in any way?

With great encouragement from Vishal and Nimisha I reached marine drive. Then I completely gave up and walked for 2 minutes, ran for 2. This went on until at churchgate I found my rhythm and cruised along until I sprinted the last 500 m towards the finish.

Upon completion I wondered why I found it so grueling in the middle. The distance wasn't so much and I have been running. So it wasn't out of the blue either.

It was a case of mind over matter and today my mind lost.

To blame I have only the weather......
And myself.


The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a heaven of Hell, a hell of Heaven.


JOHN MILTON, Paradise Lost

3 comments:

  1. I totally loved this post...and I love how this can be true of anything. I think however, that your mind won....you did finish it instead of going home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes the body is too tired to execute what the mind wants it to do - its ok, go on vacation and come back fresh, am sure you will do a 21 with ease:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes it happens very often to me and it seems only once in awhile to stong energetic parul....and the difference is my mind always wins but your mind is a looser........keep it up beta love panna aunty

    ReplyDelete